With spring here (finally!) and summer just around the corner, I have put together a weekend in Chicago itinerary for all the visitors you likely will have coming now that the weather is nice.
This past weekend one of my oldest and closest friends came to visit and we had the best time, it didn’t hurt that the weather was gorgeous! Because she’s been here a handful of times, we were able to skip some of the more touristy activities and test drive this itinerary. After dropping her off at the airport and came home and took a two hour nap so I think you could say it was a successful weekend.
- After a long day of travel, I like to plan a low key Friday night. Happy hour, dinner and to bed early. (I know, I’m old!) We went to dinner at Fahlstrom’s and after a walk around the neighborhood popped into the new Whole Foods and picked up dessert.
- 8am: Up bright and early for a Bar Method class! I know that the rest of the day is going to be packed with lots of eating so I love to start out the weekend with a little sweat session. Plus it’s fine to bring guests to experience Bar Method.
- 10am: After class, pop into Left Coast for a healthy brunch on the way home. You can’t go wrong with any of their smoothies, avocado toast or Cadillac Curry dish.
- 1pm: Time for a little pampering! We headed over to Blown Away, a new blow dry bar in Lincoln Park for blowouts. I went to Blown Away for their grand opening and had one of the best blowouts of my life, so I know we wouldn’t be disappointed. After blowouts, start to make your way downtown. We decided it would be fun to do selfies at the Bean with our freshly blown out hair.
- 3pm: Get your girlfriends together for tea time at the Virgin Hotel’s Upside Down Tea Party. Now this isn’t your average stuffy tea party. At the Virgin’s Upside Down Tea Party you’ll enjoy traditional tea favorites, boozed- infused teas and a smattering of both sweet and elegant bites. We were so surprised by not only how delicious the boozy teas were, but also by how great the food was. We left sufficiently stuffed and ready for our next adventure!
- 7pm: Time to laugh! In all my years in Chicago, this was only my second time at Second City. We went to the new show #DateMe: An OKCupid Experiment. To be honest we all left slightly disappointed with the show, but still happy we went. Next time I’ll stick to the improv-heavy shows.
- 10pm: After the show hit up any of the bars or restaurants on Wells Street. We walked down to Happy Camper for pizzas, but we ended up bringing them back home to eat because it was pretty chilly on the patio and they didn’t have any tables available inside. Sunday
- 11am: After a slow start to the morning take some time to explore a different side of Chicago at the Maxwell Street Market. Maxwell Street Market offers some of the best Mexican and Latin street food in Chicago in addition to some more eclectic merchandise. We didn’t end up eating here because the line for the famed Rubi’s was insanely long, but I know I’ll be back soon for some tacos!
- 12pm: Lunch in Greek Town before heading to the airport. Greek Town is just a short drive from Maxwell Street Market, so we popped into Greek Islands, our favorite Greek restaurant for lunch. After, we walked around Greek Town a bit before driving to the airport.
Do you have any must-see spots for when visitors are in town? Leave me a comment so I can add it to my Chicago itinerary!